Our heritage is important to us and here, we pay tribute to Mr. Mostafa Shawki (1915-1997), a pillar of the accounting profession in Egypt and the Middle East.
Originally, Mr.Shawki's office was just one room in a lawyer's office. After a year, it became two rooms and after another year, it became three rooms. When Mr. Shawki asked the lawyer to give him a fourth room, the lawyer apologized and asked him to look for his own offices before he himself would have to leave!
In 1945, the office moved to a five-roomed apartment on the fifth floor of 116 Emad El Din Street (now called Mohamed Farid Street).
In 1953, the firm moved to a nine-roomed apartment on the third floor of 16 Adly Street. With the introduction of the Egypt's open-door economic policy in 1974, the firm’s activities increased and it consequently rented four more apartments in the same building.
The firm remained at that address until 1989 when it moved to the Banque Misr Tower at 153 Mohamed Farid Street, Cairo, where it leased two floors (19th and 20th).
Highlights in the life of Mr. Mostafa Shawki
- Mostafa Shawki was born on November 7, 1915.
- Obtained Bachelor of Commerce (majoring in accounting) from Cairo University in 1937.
- Obtained a post graduate diploma in finance, Faculty of Law, Cairo University, 1940.
- Obtained a post graduate diploma in economics, Faculty of Law, Cairo University, 1941.
- After graduating from the Faculty of Commerce, Cairo University, he worked from 1937 to 1942 as an accounts inspector at the Ministry of Justice.
- Founded Shawki office in 1942.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Arthur Andersen Shawki. S.A.E. from 1981 to 1991.
- Sworn in as Expert before Courts in bankruptcy cases, 1948.
- President of the Egyptian Society of Accountants and Auditors from 1991 until his death in November 1997.
- President of the Egyptian Society of Taxation from 1990 until his death in November 1997.
- Participated in a number of local and international conferences in accounting, auditing and taxation. His firm organized a number of conferences and symposia with the National Bank of Egypt and other organizations.
- Published the periodical 'Al Margaa' which Mostafa Shawki issues every quarter. It is considered a specialized reference publication and includes major professional and academic research in the fields of audit, accountancy and taxation. Its importance and reputation for spreading accounting knowledge and developments in the profession in Egypt are due to Mostafa Shawki who conceived the idea of this publication.
- Wrote pieces for a periodical on taxation matters which is published quarterly by the society of taxation.